CARY, NC - Florida Southern fell behind 5-0 after two innings and could not overcome the deficit, dropping a 6-5 decision to Augustana (S.D.) in a winners' bracket game at the NCAA Division II Baseball National Tournament on Sunday here at the USA Baseball National Training Complex. The Moccasins will next play on Wednesday, May 30 at 3 p.m. against Texas A&M-Kingsville which eliminated Mercyhurst, 9-0, Tuesday evening.
The Moccasins (43-10-1) chipped away at the Vikings (50-9) lead and twice had the tying run at third base in the eighth and ninth innings, but could not capitalize.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Augustana took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first on two singles, a walk, and two balks by Moccasin starter J.J. Niekro (6-2).
- Ryan Mensen put the Vikings ahead 3-0 with a one-out solo home run in the second inning. J.T. Mix followed with a single but was erased on fielder's choice. After a walk, Sam Baier lifted a fly ball to left field that was dropped by Christian Maglich allowing a pair of runs to score to give Augustana a 5-0 lead after two full innings of play.
- Augustana starter David Flattery (6-2) allowed just one Moccasin baserunner through the first 3-2/3 innings (a hit batsman in the first) before Omar Villaman singled through the left side with two outs in the fourth. Logan Browning was then hit with a pitch to put runners on first and second, but Flattery caught Hayden Marze looking for strike three to end the FSC threat.
- Florida Southern finally got to Flattery in the fifth as Jacob Teter singled through the left side to lead off the inning. Maglich then walked and Dylan Costa singled to left field to load the bases. Back-to-back infield outs by Cody Burgess and Pablo Cabrera plated Teter and Maglich to cut the Vikings' lead to 5-2.
- The Moccasins added two more runs in the next inning as Villaman singled and scored on a double by Browning and one out later, Teter plated Browning with his second hit in as many at-bats to pull Florida Southern within one, 5-4.
- The Vikings got one of those runs back on two base hits, including an RBI-single by Mix, to pull ahead, 6-4.
- Florida Southern again pulled within one, 6-5, as Austin Mauer led off the eighth inning with his eighth home run of the year. One out later, Browning hit a ball that the right fielder misplayed into a three-base error, but he was left standing at third at the end of the frame.
- In the ninth, Maglich walked and was sacrificed to second before moving to third on a fly ball, but again, FSC could not get him home with the tying run.
- Cole Crowder worked the final two innings for Florida Southern, retiring each of six batters he faced.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern now has a 151-79 record in the NCAA postseason.
- This was the first meeting between Florida Southern and Augustana.
- Hintzen's appearance was his 31st of the season which is fifth most in Moccasin history. He has now pitched in four of the five Moccasins postseason games this season. The senior All-America struck out six and now has 109 strikeouts on the season.
- Niekro, J.T. Hintzen, and Crowder combined for 11 strikeouts to give FSC 487 on the season which is second most in Moccasin history.
- Mauer's home run was the Moccasins' 76 of the season, tying the 1999 squad for second most in FSC history. The Moccasins set the school record last season with 81 homers.
- Teter's two hits extended his hitting streak to nine games. He has now reached base safely in 15 games while Maglich walked twice to reach base for the 30th consecutive game.
- The game started over an hour and 45 minutes late as it was the last of fourth games played on the day as a forecast of rain on Monday forced two games to be moved up one day.
NCAA DIVISION II BASEBALL
- Game 1 - #5 Augustana 5, #4 Southern New Hampshire 2
- Game 2 - #1 Florida Southern 5, #8 Southern Indiana 3
- Game 3 - #3 UC San Diego 4, #6 Texas A&M Kingsville 0
- Game 4 - #2 Columbus State 8, #7 Mercyhurst 1
- Game 5 - Southern New Hampshire 3, Southern Indiana 0 (Southern Indiana eliminated)
- Game 6 - Augustana 6, Florida Southern 5
- Game 7 - Texas A&M Kingsville 9, Mercyhurst 0 (Mercyhurst eliminated)
- Game 8 - Columbus State 6, UC San Deigo 0
- Game 9 (May 30, 3 pm) - Florida Southern vs. Texas A&M-Kingsville
- Game 10 (May 30, 7 pm) - Southern New Hampshire vs. UC San Diego
- Game 11 (May 31, 3 pm) - Columbus State vs. Winner Game 9
- Game 12 (May 31, 7 pm) - Augustana vs. Winner Game 10
- Game 13 - (to be determined)