WINGATE, NC - Florida Southern College men's lacrosse suffered an overtime loss at Wingate on Wednesday night. In a game that saw neither team hold more than a three-goal lead, Dalton Simpson tied the game up at 12-12 with just 37 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. The Mocs (2-2) saw the Bulldogs (4-1) string together a 3-0 run late in the third quarter to midway through the fourth quarter to put the momentum back on the home side.
Sean Nolan led the Mocs with five goals bringing his season total to 16. Dalton Simpson and Carson Wallace each recorded a pair of goals, while Justin Dunleavy, Joe Appio, and Liam Winwood also found the back of the net.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 1st Quarter | Wallace put the Mocs on the board early in the first quarter. Wingate would answer with a pair of goals to take a 2-1 lead. The reigning SSC player of the week, Nolan tied the game at two on a feed from Simpson for his 12th goal of the season. Dunleavy gave the Mocs a 3-2 lead late in the first quarter on an assist by Jeff Atlas at the 32-second mark in the first.
- 2nd Quarter | Wingate's Dominic Piazza opened the second quarter scoring to tie the game at 3-3 at the 11:28 mark in the second. On a man-up opportunity, Nolan and Atlas teamed up again to give the Mocs another one-goal lead. Over a 2:35 span, the Bulldogs would string together three goals to take a 6-4 lead with four minutes left in the first half. Wallace cut the deficit to one as the teams headed to the locker room for halftime. Wingate led 6-5 at the break.
- 3rd Quarter | The Bullgods came out of the break as Piazza scored his fifth goal on the night to make it 7-5 Wingate. Simpson would cut the lead back to one ahead of a Bobby Padden goal to put the Bulldogs back up by two. Florida Southern answered Padden's goal with a 5-0 run to take an 11-8 lead late into the third quarter. Nolan would score three goals during the Mocs five goal-scoring spree. Wingate got goals from Ryan Ormerod and Joe Cooper to cut the Moccasins lead to just one at 11-10 to close out the third quarter.
- 4th Quarter | Wingate scored two goals in the span of eight seconds to take a 12-11 lead midway through the fourth quarter. The Mocs would fire off nine shots in the frame before Simpson tied the game at 12-12 with 37 seconds left in regulation. In a last-ditch effort, Nick Gutmann fired off a shot with four seconds left only to be saved by the Bulldogs goalie.
- Overtime | Liam Winwood put a shot wide right of the goal at the 2:50 mark in OT. Both teams would fire off back-to-back shots, both of Wingates off goal while Alex Cordero made a pair of saves on shots from Appio and Atlas. Piazza would get the golden goal with just 12 seconds left in the extra time to give the home team the victory.
- Florida Southern finished with 39 shots, 24 on goal, and tallied six assists and 40 ground balls.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Nolan recorded his team-leading 16th goal on the season.
- Kevin Horwitz 18 of 28 faceoffs for the Mocs.
- Max Freestone made 13 saves on 26 shots on goal in net for Florida Southern.
- Florida Southern continues its North Carolina trip with a matchup at Mount Olive (March 9) before returning home to face Westminster (UT) on March 13.