FT. LAUDERDALE, FL - Florida Southern placed five players in double figures, but it wasn't enough as Nova Southeastern connected on 10-of-14 free throws in overtime to post a 105-102 win over the Moccasins here on Saturday in Sunshine State Conference action. With the win, the Sharks remain undefeated at 6-0 overall and 3-0 in the league while the Moccasins drop to 4-4 overall and 1-3 in the SSC.
Ben Marello and Jonathan Lawton each netted 23 points to lead a quintet of Moccasins with 10 or more points. Also in double figures were Brett Hanson (18), Ja'Kwan "Slinky" Jones (16), and Tyler Ross (13). Hanson and Jones each had a double-double as each player also grabbed 11 rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams traded baskets the first three minutes of the contest before Florida Southern took a four-point lead, 11-7 on a free throw by Marello. Nova Southeastern answered with a 6-0 run to take a 17-11 lead at the 13:58 mark.
- The Sharks increased their lead to 28-19 with 11:27 remaining in the first half, before the Moccasins countered with a 13-1 run behind six points from Marello to grab a 32-29 lead in just over two minutes.
- Once again, Nova Southeastern came back and took a 56-49 lead into the locker room at the half.
- Florida Southern opened the second half on a 15-4 run behind six points from Lawton to go ahead 64-62 six minutes into the period. The two clubs battled back and forth the rest of the way with the Sharks pulling ahead 77-70 with 8:11 to go, but the Moccasins came back to tie the game 79-79 on a three-pointer by Marello at the 5:24 mark.
- The teams traded leads over the next five minutes with Nova Southeastern taking a 91-88 lead with 21 seconds left in regulation on a pair of Isaac White free throws. Lawton then sent the game into overtime with a three-point shot with 15 ticks remaining.
- In the overtime period, the Sharks would pull ahead with the Mocs tying the game three times in the opening 2:30 before taking a 97-96 lead on a pair of free throws by Lawton with 2:16 left in the first OT. NSU took the lead back, 98-97 on a pair of Nick Smith free throws and held off the Moccasins the rest of the way. The Moccasins pulled within two, 101-99 with 29 ticks left on a layup from Marello, but NSU closed out with four free throws before Josh "Rico" Releford hit a three-pointer with one second left for the final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern leads the series 29-6 and had won 11 of the last 15 games played on Nova Southeastern's home court. This was the first home win by the Sharks over the Moccasins since Jan. 7, 2012.
- For Lawton, he has now scored 10 or more points in each of the Moccasins' seven games this season and has had 20 or more points in five games now. Over his last four games, Lawton has scored 82 points.
- Hanson posted his fifth straight game with 10 or more points and now has 90 points in those five games.
- Nova Southeastern came into the game with a 103.0 team scoring average and was coming over a triple-overtime win over Caldwell on Monday by the same 105-102 score as tonight's game.
- Hanson, Jones, Tyler Ross, and Jack Rauch all fouled out for Florida Southern, which had two other players with four fouls.
- Florida Southern made 56 percent of its free throws (14-for-25) and was 8-of-28 from the three-point line. The Moccasins shot 47.1 percent from the field and pulled down 56 rebounds.
- Nova Southeastern connected on 71.1 percent of its free throws (32-of-45) and was 9-of-20 from three-point range. The Sharks made 41.6 of their field goals and grabbed 34 rebounds.
- Florida Southern returns to Jenkins Field House on Wednesday to face Embry-Riddle at 7:30 p.m.