LIVINGSTON, Ala. - A 53-point first half helped Florida Southern College men's basketball roll past Delta State, 92-74, in the 2019-20 season opener on Saturday evening in the GSC/SSC Challenge at Pruitt Hall on the campus of the University of West Alabama. The Moccasins (1-0) shot an incredible 59.4 percent (19-of-32) in the first half to sink the Statesmen (0-1) for the fourth-straight time.
Brett Hanson led the Mocs with 24 points, 15 of which came in the first half, while E.J. Dambreville (17), Jalyn Hinton (15), and Brandon Carroll (10) also scored in double figures. Florida Southern ended the contest with a field-goal percentage of 50.0 (35-of-60), and dominated the interior by outscoring Delta State 56-20 in the paint.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Moccasins dominated the early stages of the game, racing out to a 13-2 lead on Dambreville's three-pointer with 16:28 to go in the first half and jumping in front by 21 (26-5) less than four minutes later. Southern never led by less than 16 points and was up by as many as 24 (53-29) before heading into the locker room with a 53-31 halftime lead.
- Florida Southern knocked down 19-of-32 shots in the opening half, including 4-of-7 from long range, and held the Statesmen to just 37.9 percent (11-of-29) while forcing 10 first-half turnovers. The Mocs also outrebounded Delta State 22-14 in the first half and tallied three blocks over the first 20 minutes of action.
- Leading by 26 points (74-48) midway through the second half, Florida Southern hit something of a cold streak as Delta State mounted a small 9-0 run to pull within 17 (74-57) on Savvas Georgiads' three with 9:20 to go. But the scoring run by the Statesmen did nothing to slow the Moccasins, who pushed the lead to 89-62 when Hanson tipped in a rebound at the 3:25 mark.
- The big lead allowed Florida Southern head coach Mike Donnelly to empty the bench as 13 different players saw game action. The Mocs finished with a 46-35 edge in rebounds and outscored Delta State 21-5 on the fast break.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 8-3 all-time against Delta State, including a 2-3 record when facing the Statesmen at a neutral site. The Mocs have topped DSU each of the past four times the schools have met, and the 93 points by Southern are the second-most ever scored in the series with Delta State, topped only by FSC's 97-80 win on Nov. 16, 2014.
- Hanson's 24 points marked the 22nd-straight game in which he has scored in double figures dating back to last season. He has posted 20 or more points 10 times during that stretch. He has now scored 1,567 points in his career, putting him just 47 shy of moving into eighth place in program history in career scoring.
- Hanson also pushed his career rebound total to 636 and needs 24 more to move into 14th in the FSC record books in that category. He is just the 17th player in program history with 1,000 points and 500 rebounds in a career.
- Florida Southern will finish off its opening weekend against West Alabama at 5 p.m. on Sunday. The Moccasins will travel to USC Aiken (Nov. 16), Embry-Riddle (Nov. 20), and Barry (Nov. 23) before opening its home slate on Nov. 29 against New Haven.