LAKELAND, Fla. – The 11th ranked Florida Southern College men's basketball team led from stem to stern on Saturday night, defeating the visiting Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish, 81-79, in Sunshine State Conference action. Southern improves to 15-2 overall, and 7-2 inside the SSC, while PBA drops to 11-6, and 4-5 in the SSC.
Senior forward Jack Rauch had an eventful evening, scoring his 1,000th career point early in the first half. For the game, he finished with 15 points, six rebounds, and a pair of assists. In total, he currently has scored 1,007 career points, making him the 44th player in program history to eclipse the 1,000 point plateau.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mocs jumped all over the 'Fish early, scoring the game's first 12 points. Rauch made two three-pointers in that stretch. After a PBA bucket, Rauch hit his third triple of the game, propelling him over the 1,000 point mark. For the half, Rauch would make five three's on six attempt for five points.
- Southern would build a 24-9 advantage at 11:36, when DeAndre Campbell made a jumper, on an assist from senior Brett Hanson.
- Southern would take its largest lead of the half with 6:40 to play at 18 points, when Rauch again hit a triple.
- Later, the lead would reach 18 points again, as junior Jalyn Hinton slammed a dunk on an alleyoop pass from Hanson.
- The third time the lead would touch 18 points was with 2:25 remaining, when Campbell hit a jumper in the lane.
- For the half, in addition to Rauch's 15, sophomore guard E.J. Dambreville and Campbell each recorded eight points.
- Early in the second half, the lead would swell to 20 points, as Hanson made a traditional three-point play at the 18:15 mark, making the score 51-31.
- PBA would go on a run if their own, trimming the Mocs' lead to as few as seven points, at 57-50, with 14:27 to go.
- The teams traded buckets, with Florida Southern holding a ten point lead, 64-54, on a Hanson free throw with 9:40 to go in the half. A 9-3 run for the visitors quickly made the score 67-63, with 7:16 to play.
- Hanson would respond with a jumper in the paint, and the Mocs were back on top by six.
- After a PBA basket, Southern would go on a 7-0 run, including back-to-back baskets for Hanson.
- The Sailfish continued to push tempo, and eventually pulled to within three, at 79-76, with 2:34 to play.
- Hinton would make a layup, before a PBA three trimmed the lead to 81-79, just two points – one possession – with only :21 remaining.
- PBA fouled Hanson on the inbounds pay, sending the senior to the foul line. He missed the front end of a one-and-one, and PBA grabbed the rebound, quickly calling a timeout.
- PBA set up one final play, and missed a potential game-winning three pointer. They grabbed the offensive rebound, and missed a last second layup, resulting in an 81-79 Mocs win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern never trailed in the game, and led by as many as 20 points.
- The Mocs shot 53.3% from the field, while PBA shot 38.4%
- Four different Mocs scored in double figures, including Hanson (game-high 23), Dambreville (16), Rauch (15), and Hinton (10).
- PBA out-rebounded FSC 50-28. Leading the Mocs was Hinton with eight.
- Southern had nine blocked shots on the affair, with Hinton swatting away six by himself.
- Rauch increased his career scoring total to 1,007 points, making him the 44th player in program history, and fourth in the last five years, to score 1,000 career points at FSC. He joins Hanson, Jonathan Lawton, and Dominique Williams as the most recent players to hit 1,000 points, all of which have come under head coach Mike Donnelly.
- Hanson pushed his career scoring total to 1,906, the third highest total in school history. He has also tallied 761 rebounds, good for seventh in the program record books. His 187 steals are good for seventh, while his assist total of 379 ranks tenth.
- Florida Southern will continue a three-game home stand, hosting Tampa on Wednesday, January 22. The home swing concludes on Saturday, January 25, when SSC-leading Barry comes to town.