LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College men's lacrosse rallied back from a late two-goal deficit to tie things up, but No. 7 LIU Post scored with 12 seconds remaining to eke out an 11-10 victory on Monday at Bryant Stadium.
The Moccasins (0-1) scored on a man-up opportunity with just over a minute to play to make it 10-10, but the Pioneers (1-1) found the back of the net with 12 seconds left to pick up the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Florida Southern got on the board first when Dalton Simpson scored his first goal of the day with 8:42 to play in the first quarter, but LIU Post struck back just two minutes later with its first goal to tie things up.
• The Mocs responded with a score of their own at the 4:43 mark to grab a 2-1 lead, but it took just 28 seconds for the Pioneers to score the equalizer. LIU Post would put another ball in the back of the net in the closing seconds of the first period to take a 3-2 lead.
• In the second quarter, LIU Post scored in the opening minute to increase its lead to two goals (4-2), but back-to-back goals from Nick Gutmann and Cody Dyer tied things at 4-4. The Pioneers would convert on a man-up opportunity in the final two minutes to take a 5-4 lead into the half.
• The first five minutes of the second half featured a flurry of goals, including five in the first five minutes. LIU Post looked as if it might take an 8-6 lead into the fourth quarter, but Simpson scored his third goal of the day to cut the deficit to one (8-7) with 2:19 to go in the third.
• Kyle Silverstein's goal with 13:49 left to play evened the contest at 8-8, but the Pioneers scored twice in the next two minutes to go in front 10-8.
• With 4:46 to go in the game, Tyler Kopen found the back of the net to bring the Mocs within one. The Moccasins would draw three late penalties on LIU Post, giving Florida Southern a three-man advantage with just under two minutes to play. Kevin Dyer was able to convert the opportunity and tie things at 10-10 with 1:38 to play.
• After a Florida Southern turnover with just under a minute to go, the Pioneers were able to find the back of the net for the game winner with just 12 seconds to play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Monday's game was the first-ever meeting between Florida Southern and LIU Post. The Moccasins are now 1-2 all-time against teams from the East Coast Conference. Florida Southern dropped to 40-29 all-time at home and 2-7 all-time in season openers.
• Simpson led the Mocs with three goals in the game after scoring just four all of last year. Kevin Dyer and Kyle Silverstein each scored two goals while Silverstein also tallied an assist.
• Matt Lalli made 14 saves in goal for the Mocs, while Jake Crowther came up with a defensive save early in the third quarter to keep the deficit at two.
• LIU Post took 40 shots to Florida Southern's 30. Each team grabbed 22 ground balls while Florida Southern won 13 faceoffs compared to 11 for the Pioneers.
• Florida Southern will hit the road for games at Wingate (Feb. 24) and Queens (Feb. 26) before returning home to face Lake Erie on Feb. 28 and NYIT on March 3.