DAVIE, FLA. – The Florida Southern men's swimming team had an impressive two days at the Shark Invitational, hosted by Nova Southeastern University. The Mocs placed second among six teams, with 682.5 total team points.
The host Sharks won the Invitational with 951 team points, followed by Florida Southern, Savannah College of Art and Design (628 points), Keiser (448), Florida Tech (366.5), and Lynn (178).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first event of the day was the 1000-free, where four FSC swimmers posted top-ten times. Freshman Luka Prostran placed fourth (9:47.40), sophomore Cole Smith eighth (9:54.02), sophomore Matt Agostinelli ninth (9:54.22), and senior Daniel Rodriguez tenth (10:02.16).
- The 200-medley "A" relay team of senior Talor Hamilton, junior Matias Lopez, junior Miguel Bernotti, and junior Carlos Bernotti finished fifth with a combined time of 1:36.03, with the "B" relay of sophomores Jacob Tuckerman, JJ Saslo, Theo Peristeridis, and Ethan Oliva finished eighth in 1:38.30.
- Carlos Bernotti claimed gold in the 100-free, sprinting to a time of 46.45. Following him were Hamilton in fourth (47.28), Miguel Bernotti in seventh (47.49), and Lopez in ninth (47.59).
- Hamilton returned for the 100-back, and placed sixth with a time 53.56.
- Lopez continued his strong outing in the 400-IM, taking second place with a time of 4:04.41, less than a second from first place.
- Miguel Bernotti returned in the 100-fly, taking fourth place in 50.66, followed by Hamilton in seventh place in 51.68, and Saslo in ninth in 51.83.
- Rounding out the day's event was the 400-free relay, where the "A" team of Carlos Bernotti, Hamilton, Lopez, and Miguel Bernotti claimed gold with a time of 3:06.06. The "B" relay team of Saslo, junior Levi Parsons, Oliva, and Prostran took seventh place with a time of 3:13.65.
The Mocs will open the home portion of the schedule by hosting Sunshine State Conference foe Rollins College on Friday, October 18, a 3:00 p.m.