MELBOURNE, Fla. - A total of eight top-five finishes, including four first-place showings, helped Florida Southern College men's swimming to a first-place finish at the third and final day of the Panther Invite on Sunday at the Panther Aquatic Center. The Moccasins, who entered the day with a comfortable 58-point lead, tacked on another 358 points on Sunday to finish with 640.5 over the three-day event.
The final margin between Florida Southern and second-place Florida Tech (515.5) was 125 points. Rollins (403) and Saint Leo (149) finished a distant third and fourth, respectively.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Miguel Bernotti and Matias Lopez each posted first-place showings for the Moccasins. Bernotti won the 200-yard butterfly in a time of 1:49.28, while Lopez was the winner in the in the 200-yard backstroke with a mark of 1:47.78. Brandon Dyck finished second in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:49.12. Carlos Bernotti was a winner in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 45.77.
- Luka Prostran (15:48.64), Cole Smith (16:06.04), and Daniel Rodriguez (16:12.98) finished second, third, and fourth, respectively, in the 1,650-yard freestyle.
- On the relay side of things, the Florida Southern team of C. Bernotti, JJ Saslo, Dyck, and Lopez turned in a time of 3:04.23 in the 400-yeard freestyle, edging out Florida Tech (3:04.32) for first.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Lopez ended the weekend with three NCAA provisional marks in the 200-yard backstroke, 400-yard individual medley, and 500-yard freestyle.
- Florida Southern posted a total of 20 top-10 finishes on Sunday.
- Florida Southern will close out the calendar year at the Spartan Invite in Clearwater from Dec. 16-19.