LAKELAND, FLA. – The 16th-ranked Florida Southern College men's swimming team needed the final relay to take down Division III No. 2 Emory in the Mocs penultimate home dual meet of the 2019-20 regular season on Friday evening, 113-92, in a meet held at the Nina B. Hollis Wellness Center Pool.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams went back and forth in the scoring as the Mocs took their first lead of the meet following a first-place finish from Carlos Bernotti in the 200-free (1:42.63).
- Florida Southern hit the touchpad first in eight events - 1000-free, 200-free, 200-IM, 200-fly, 200-back, 500-free, 200-breast, and the 400-free relay.
- Additionally, FSC placed first and second in the 200-fly and the 200-back and second and third in the 50-free. FSC was first and third in the final event, the 400-free relay.
- Junior Carlos Bernotti won the 200-free in 1:42.63, then returned to place second in the 100-free in 47.03.
- Junior Matias Lopez swam the fastest in three separate events - 200-IM (1:54.47), 200-back (1:50.76), and 200-breast (2:08.94). Three first-place finishes on the day was the most for the Mocs.
- Freshman Luka Prostran was a double-winner, as he took home the gold in the 1000-free (9:39.90). His second first-place finish was won by a mear 0.02-time difference over Emory's Pat Pema in the 500-free (4:41.31).
- Junior Miguel Bernotti won the 200-fly with a time of 1:52.45.
- Senior Talor Hamilton finished second (21.53) in the 50-free and close behind him was sophomore JJ Saslo in third (21.70).
- The home squad used a first (A-3:06.30) and third-place (B-3:15.32) finish in the 400-free relay to seal the victory over Emory.
The Mocs will honor their three seniors prior to Saturday's meet against Sunshine State foe No. 6 Nova Southeastern at 11:00 a.m. Florida Southern will close out the regular season with a dual meet at Indian River State College (Jan. 24) before heading to Clearwater, Fla. for the 2020 SSC Championship meet (Feb. 13-16).