LAKELAND, FLA. – The 16th-ranked Florida Southern College men's swimming team took on the sixth-ranked Sharks of Nova Southeastern on a day in which it honored its three seniors in a pre-meet ceremony. The Sharks were victorious 160-101 on Saturday in a meet held at the Nina B. Hollis Wellness Center Pool. The three seniors honored were Talor Hamilton, Daniel Rodriguez, and Jonathan Sawyer.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mocs opened the meet with a third-place finish by their A relay team in the 200-medley (1:33.79).
- Florida Southern hit the touchpad first in six events - 100-back, 100-breast, 50-free, 200-back, 200-breast, and the 200-IM.
- Additionally, FSC placed second in the 200-free, 200-fly, 100-free, and the 500-free. In addition to second place in the 100-free they also placed third.
- Junior Carlos Bernotti was second in the 200-free in 1:41.68, then returned to place second in the 100-free in 46.43. Teammate JJ Saslo was right behind him in third place (46.92).
- Junior Matias Lopez led the team as he swam the fastest in three separate events - 100-breast (57.97), 200-breast (2:07.21), and 200-IM (1:52.11).
- Junior Brandon Dyck also claimed multiple first-place finishes as he was fastest in the 100-back (51.19) and the 200-back (1:51.57).
- Freshman Luka Prostran was third in the 1000-free (9:43.43) and returned to the pool later to place second in the 500-free (4:43.86).
- Junior Miguel Bernotti was second in the 200-fly with a time of 1:52.54.
- Hamilton finished second (21.22) in the 50-free.
- The home squad used a first (A-3:06.30) and third-place (B-3:15.32) finish in the 400-free relay to seal the victory over Emory.
Florida Southern will close out the regular season with a dual meet at Indian River State College (Jan. 24) before heading to Clearwater, Fla. for the 2020 SSC Championship meet (Feb. 13-16).