CLEARWATER, Fla. – Cole Smith placed third in the 1,000-free to pace the Florida Southern College men's swimming team on Day One of the 2020 Sunshine State Conference championship meet. The four-day event is taking place at The Long Center in Clearwater, Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Smith medaled in the 1,000-free with a time of 9:18.85, finishing third to Nova Southeastern's Vincent Lijoi (9:02.12). Luka Prostran finished just behind Smith with a 9:18.89 time. Both finished with an NCAA "B" qualifying time.
- Matias Lopez placed sixth in the 200-IM with an NCAA "B" qualifying time of 1:49.28. Miguel Bernotti and Jacob Tuckerman also scored points for the Mocs in the 200-IM.
- Talor Hamilton finished the A-final of the 50-free with an NCAA "B" qualifying time of 20.52. Brandon Dyck set a personal best in the 50-free with a 20.99 time as he earned points for the Mocs in the B-final.
- The night ended with the 200-Medley Relay. Florida Southern's A relay of Dyck, JJ Saslo, Carlos Bernotti, and Hamilton finished sixth with a 1:30.64 time. The B relay of Jacob Tuckerman, Theo Peristeridis, Matt Agostinelli, and Ethan Oliva placed fourth in their heat with a 1:33.65 time as both relays helped the Mocs secure third place after Day One.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Four Moccasins closed out Day One with NCAA "B" qualifying times.
- The University of Tampa held the lead in the team standings at the end of the night with 211 points, Nova Southeastern University was second with 187, and Florida Southern was third with 104. Saint Leo (88), Rollins (62), Florida Tech (52), and Lynn (43) completed the standings.
Day two of the SSC Championships is Friday at the Long Center with prelims at 10 a.m., and finals at 6 p.m.