TAMPA, FL - Camille Giardina scored 23 points and Florida Southern College women's basketball held yet another opponent under 50 points in a 59-44 win at Sunshine State Conference rival Tampa on Wednesday at the Bob Martinez Center. The No. 13 Moccasins (18-1, 11-0 SSC) extended their winning streak to 15 games as they finished off the regular-season sweep of the Spartans (14-6, 8-4) to remain perfect in conference play.
The Mocs led from start to finish as they raced out to an 8-0 lead in the first quarter and held Tampa to just 35.9 percent (14-of-39) on the night. Giardina finished 8-of-15 from the floor and hit 4-of-7 three-point attempts, while Mercedez Claybrone chipped in with 10 points and Anja Fuchs-Robetin tallied eight points and eight rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 1st Quarter | Florida Southern set the tone early as it raced out to an 8-0 lead in the first three minutes of action and led by as many as nine points (12-3) with 5:09 to go in the opening period. The Spartans were able to mount a 5-0 run to pull within four (12-8) at the 3:56 mark, but the teams traded buckets the rest of the way and Southern led 16-12 after the first.
- 2nd Quarter | After seeing its lead dwindle to just two points (16-14) to open the second quarter, Florida Southern went on a hot streak and outscored Tampa 14-4 the rest of the way en route to a 30-18 halftime lead. The Mocs held the Spartans without a point during a five-plus minute stretch over the final six minutes of the half, and Giardina put up 10 of her game-high 23 points in the second quarter.
- 3rd Quarter | The third quarter was the best offensive quarter for both teams, but it was the Moccasins who were the better team in the third by a 22-16 score. Giardina scored 11 points in the period as the Mocs hit 46.7 percent (7-of-15) of their shots in the third and led 52-34 headed into the final period of play.
- 4th Quarter | Florida Southern never saw its lead dip below 16 points in the fourth quarter as it rolled to yet another victory. The Spartans outscored the Moccasins 10-7 over the final 10 minutes, but it was not nearly enough to overcome the Mocs' massive lead.
- The Moccasins shot 41.5 percent (22-of-53) from the floor, including 8-of-19 at the three-point line. Florida Southern hit 7-of-8 free throws, outrebounded Tampa 33-28, and outscored the Spartans 20-7 in points off turnovers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 64-35 all-time against Tampa, including a 27-18 record when facing the Spartans on the road. The Moccasins have now won five in a row in the series with Tampa, including nine of the last 10.
- The Moccasins' current win streak of 15 games is now tied for the third-best in program history. Florida Southern won 15-straight during the 2017-18 season, 16 in a row in 1992-93, and a school-record 26 in a row during the 1994-95 campaign.
- Giardina pushed her career scoring total to 1,619 points. She needs 167 more to move into sixth in school history in career scoring. Anja Fuchs-Robetin now has 1,394 points and needs two more to move into ninth in program history.
- Florida Southern will take on Nova Southeastern at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday at Jenkins Field House. One lucky Florida Southern College student will have the chance to make a halfcourt shot for $10,000.