BOCA RATON, FL - Camille Giardina poured in 24 points and Florida Southern College women's basketball bounced back from a pair of losses to grab a 68-54 win over Sunshine State Conference rival Lynn on Saturday afternoon at the de Hoernle Center. The No. 15 Moccasins (21-3, 14-2 SSC) held the Fighting Knights (13-9, 7-9) to just 35.8 percent (19-of-53) from the floor to improve to 7-1 on the road this season.
After a back-and-forth battle for the first half, the Mocs were able to seize total control in the third quarter as they led by as many as 18 points (52-34) en route to a season sweep of Lynn. Anja Fuchs-Robetin scored 12 points and Florida Southern got 18 points from its bench to bounce back from back-to-back losses.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 1st Quarter | Florida Southern trailed 10-7 with just 3:09 to go in the first quarter, but Giardina drilled a three with 2:27 left to spur the Mocs on to a 9-2 run over the closing moments of the opening period to take a 16-12 lead after 10 minutes of play. Giardina scored 10 points in the first quarter and was 2-of-2 from beyond the arc.
- 2nd Quarter | A slow start to the second quarter by the Moccasins allowed the Knights to grab a 19-18 lead with 3:35 to go in the first half, but the Mocs ripped off a 9-0 run to go up 27-19 on Elsa Landberg's layup with 2:51 remaining and took a 33-27 lead into the locker room at the break.
- 3rd Quarter | The Mocs scored the opening four points of the second half to go up by 10 (37-27) and would eventually build a 52-34 lead with just over two minutes to go in the third and seize all the momentum, leading 52-39 after the third quarter of action.
- 4th Quarter | Lynn was unable to really close the gap in the fourth quarter as Florida Southern never led by less than 10 points. Fuchs-Robetin scored six points in the fourth. The Mocs ended the game shooting 47.1 percent (24-of-51) from the floor and outrebounded the Knights 36-24. Lynn managed just 35.8 percent from the floor and committed 14 turnovers, which led directly to 16 points for the Mocs.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 33-13 all-time against Lynn, including a 15-9 record when facing the Fighting Knights on the road. The Mocs have now defeated Lynn in each of the last 11 meetings between the teams.
- Giardina pushed her career scoring total to 1,723 points. She needs 63 more to move into sixth in school history in career scoring. Fuchs-Robetin now has 1,483 points. She is four points shy of moving into a tie for eighth place.
- Florida Southern will travel to Eckerd on Wednesday for a 5:35 p.m. tipoff on ESPN3 as part of the DII Showcase. The Moccasins are back home on Feb. 23 against Barry, travel to Saint Leo on Feb. 27, and close out the regular season at home against Rollins on March 2.