LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern women's soccer kept Eckerd College off the board for 89 minutes en route to its second-straight victory. Freshman Caitlyn Lowery gave the Mocs (5-8-1, 3-5-0 SSC) a crucial insurance goal in the 74th minute as they defeated Eckerd (6-5-1, 3-5-0) 2-1 on Wednesday night in St. Petersburg, FL.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mocs had the games first scoring chance as Cali Larson fired off the first shot of the game right at the Tritons goalie Casey Winn. Eckerd answered with a header wide of the goal a minute later.
- Eckerd saw three shots blocked in the 7th and 8th minutes to keep the game scoreless.
- After an Anna Griessler shot went wide of the goal, Larson opened the scoring in the 26th minute. On a pass from Erin Cagle, Larson shot a ball low to the right post from inside the box to put Florida Southern up 1-0.
- Looking to tie the match up at one the Tritons Siobhan Longmore fired off the first of her five shots in the final 16 minutes of the first half.
- Three minutes after entering the match Chloe Hamm fired off two shots, the first wide of the goal and the second was saved by Winn.
- Tori Routt made a pair of saves in the final six minutes off the first half to send the Mocs to the break with a 1-0 lead.
- For the second-straight match and the fifth time this season, the Mocs entered the 15 minute break with the lead.
- In the 55th minute, Alexa Moberley looked to add on to the Mocs lead as she put a ball off the post and then took the rebound and saw her shot blocked by the Tritons defense. Minutes later Moberley would fire off her fourth and final shot of the night, which was saved by Winn.
- Putting pressure on the Mocs defense, Longmore put two shots on goal, both saved by Routt.
- In the 74th minute, C. Lowery collected a loose ball that was misplayed by Winn and shot to the lower-left corner to put the Mocs up 2-0. A few minutes later looking to replicate her twin, Brooke Lowery recorded a shot on goal that was saved by Winn.
- As it seemed the Mocs would record a second consecutive shutout, the Tritons snuck one past Routt to get Eckerd on the board in the 90th minute.
- Routt finished with eight saves on the night as she improved her record to 2-3 on the season, while Winn made four stops as she fell to 6-5-1. The Tritons fired off 20 shots, with Longmore recording half of them. The Moccasins totaled 13 shots, six on frame. Eckerd put six of its 20 shots on goal. The Tritons finished with six corner kicks to the Mocs three. Moberley led Florida Southern with four shots, while Hamm and Larson got off two shots each. Five different Moccasins each team tallied a shot with two of the five on goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern picked up its third SSC victory on the season.
- C. Lowery recorded her second goal of the season.
- The Mocs are 4-0-1 in matches where they led at the half this season.
- The Moccasins will honor their five seniors prior to a 7 p.m. kick off against Palm Beach Atlantic (Oct. 20). Florida Southern will close out the regular season with a road match at Barry (Oct. 23).