CLEARWATER, Fla. – Senior Malin Wallen and freshman Tianna Kosek and Danielle Williams all recorded NCAA "B" qualifying times on day one of the 2020 Sunshine State Conference championship meet. The Florida Southern College women's swimming team closed out the day in fifth place with 70 points. The four-day meet is taking place at The Long Center in Clearwater, Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Erin McCann scored points for the Mocs in the 1,000-free with a 10:30.32 time.
- Wallen claimed a fifth-place finish in the 200-IM with an NCAA "B" time of 2:04.70.
- Freshman Danielle Williams and Saint Leo's Zofia Pilarska both hit the touchpad at the same exact time to tie for first in the B-final of the 50-free with an NCAA "B" qualifying time of 23.75. Kosek also recorded an NCAA "B" qualifying time as she placed fifth in her heat with a time of 23.95 in the 50-free.
- The Moccasin A-relay team of Maria Di Bella, Kosek, Kimmy Chang, and Wallen took home fifth place in the 200-Medley Relay with a time of 1:46.87. The Mocs B-relay was third in their heat at the team of Lanier Whitton, Emily Drabick, Annalise Eisold, and Williams posted a time of 1:46.24. Both relay teams totaled points for the Mocs to help FSC secure fifth place to close out the first day of the conference meet.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Nova Southeastern University leads after day one with a 230.5 score. The University of Tampa (186.5) and Rollins (78.5) complete the top three. In fourth place, Lynn University (75) holds a five-point advantage over the Moccasins (70) who are in fifth place. Saint Leo University (64.5) and Florida Tech (46) complete the standings after day one.
Day two of the SSC Championships is Friday with prelims at 10 a.m. and finals at 6 p.m.