TAMPA, Fla. - Florida Southern College women's tennis had a promising start to the 2020 season this past weekend as the Mocccasins competed at the UT Round Robin in Tampa. The No. 18 Moccasins faced opponents from the University of Tampa, St. Petersburg College and St. Mary's University and was the only squad to have winning records in both singles and doubles play.
"It's great to see our players compete at a high level," head coach Trish Riddell said. "They continue to give an excellent effort."
HOW IT HAPPENED ON SATURDAY (ST. PETERSBURG COLLEGE):
- Flor Salerno fell 6-1, 6-3 to Mckenzie in the first flight.
- Laura Vetter fought valiantly in the second set but fell 6-2, 7-5 to Salenko.
- Flights three, five, six, seven and eight saw Magda Stepnik, Lola Asis, Isabella Bolivar, Gabby Hesse and Diana Baumgartnere all win their matchups in two sets with no one giving up more than two games to their opponent in each set.
- Mathilda Vidgren dominated 6-1 in her first set of flight four but had to come back from a 1-6 second set to win the flight. The sophomore from Sweden emerged over Garcia in an 11-9 tiebreaker.
HOW IT HAPPENED ON SUNDAY (TAMPA):
- Vetter and Salerno lost in the first and second flights, with Vetter falling 6-1, 6-2 to Grib and Salerno dropping to 6-3 sets to Dorsey.
- Stepnik won 6-1, 6-2 in the third flight, while Bolivar and Baumgartnere both cruised with two 6-1 sets each in the sixth and eighth flights, respectively.
- The fourth, fifth and seventh flights all went to three sets, as Vidgren split two 7-5 sets before falling 10-5 in the third set at the fifth flight. Asis rebounded from a 3-6 loss in the first set of the fourth flight with a 6-2 second set and 10-8 tiebreaker wins. Hesse won the seventh flight, recovering from a 4-6 first set with a dominant 6-1 second set a 10-6 tiebreaker.
HOW IT HAPPENED IN DOUBLES PLAY:
- Vidgren and Salerno fell in close, 7-6 with a 7-2 tiebreaker match against McKenzie and Mova of St. Petersburg College while Stepnik and Vetter emerged with a 6-2 win over Ortega and Matsubara.
- Both Moccasin doubles pairings defeated their Tampa opponents as Hesse and Baumgartnere won 6-3 over Iordanova and Nice while Bolivar and Hesse won 6-2 over Harrelson and Tatini.
- St. Mary's won two of the three doubles matches against the Moccasins as Delmonico and Csengery won an 8-6 tiebreaker in a 7-6 scoreline over Vidgren and Vetter. Thane and Garcia defeated Asis and Stepnik in a 7-3 tiebreaker, while Baumgartnere and Salerno earned the lone Moccasin win with a 6-2 showing over Penshorn and Vigil.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Mocs lead all teams with a 15-8 overall record for the round-robin and an 11-5 singles record.
- Stepnik won 24 games in singles play while only giving up five to her opponents.
The No. 18 Moccasins will host the No. 7 Argonauts of West Florida on Monday, Feb. 10 at 2 p.m. at the Wynee Warden Tennis Center in the team's home opener.