LAKELAND, Fla. - Florida Southern College women's tennis fell 4-1 in its season opener to West Florida on Monday afternoon at the Wynee Warden Tennis Center. The No. 18 Moccasins (0-1) battled against the No. 7 Argonauts (1-1) but were unable to hold off one of the top teams in the nation.
"We faced a tough opponent in West Florida today," head coach Trish Riddell said. "Hopefully we learned where we can improve so that we can prepare for our next challenge."
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Magda Stepnik and Laura Vetter fell 6-3 in the No. 2 doubles flight to Karolina Silwanowicz and Gabriela Araujo while Mathilda Vidgren and Lola Asis also dropped a 6-3 decision in the No. 3 flight to Irene Recuenco and Lais Bicca. Flor Salerno and Diana Baumgartnere's No. 1 flight went unfinished at 4-4 to Berta Bonardi and Lucie Lesecq.
- In singles play, Southern fell behind early as Araujo won 6-1, 6-0 over Vidgren in the No. 5 flight and Lesecq won 6-0, 6-4 over Asis in the No. 4 flight.
- The Argonauts sealed the match as the No. 1 singles player in Division II, Bonardi, defeated Salerno 6-3, 6-1 in the No. 1 flight.
- Vetter had the last word for the Moccasins, as she triumphed in two 6-3 sets over the No. 6 singles player in the nation in Recuenco in the No. 2 flight.
- Stepnik's 6-3, 1-6 match went unfinished against No. 23 Karolina Silwanowicz, and Isabella Bolivar was leading 3-0 in the first set over Samantha Echevarria before the match went unfinished.
The Moccasins will travel to St. Augustine on Thursday for a 3 p.m. match against No. 13 Flagler.