ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. - Florida Southern College women's tennis fell 5-2 to Flagler on Thursday afternoon at the Flagler Tennis Center. The No. 18 Moccasins (0-2) locked up the doubles point early, but a strong singles showing from the No. 13 Saints (2-2) gave the home side the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Flor Salerno and Diana Baumgartnere kicked doubles action off for the Mocs with a 6-3 victory in the first doubles flight. Laura Vetter and Magda Stepnik were defeated 6-4 in the No. 2 flight by Lixin Wang and Anika Nissen.
- Isabella Bolivar and Mathilda Vidgren bounced back from trailing 6-5 to win two games and force a tiebreaker that they would win handily at 7-0, taking the third doubles flight 7-6 and the doubles point for the Mocs.
- Flagler earned two quick points from the first two singles flights as No. 14 Eden Schlagenhauf defeated Salerno 6-2, 6-3, and No. 36 Wang won 6-2, 6-4 over Vetter.
- Amelie Vossgaeter put Flagler up 3-1 with a 6-2, 6-3 victory in the No. 4 singles flight. Bolivar battle for the Mocs in the No. 5 flight, winning the first set 6-2 and coming back from a 7-5 second-set defeat with a perfect 6-0 third set.
- Flagler clinched the match with No. 28 Nissen defeating Stepnik 6-2, 7-6 with a 7-1 tiebreaker in the third flight while Alessandra Traub held off Vidgren with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-0 decision.
The Moccasins host No. 2 Lynn on Saturday at 10 a.m. at the Wynee Warden Tennis Center in their conference home opener. The team will then travel to Tampa on Wednesday for a 3 p.m. conference matchup.